Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Apple TV Setup

How was the set up? Great. Easy.

There were only certain ways that the cables can be plugged in so it was pretty straight forward. My TV only has one HDMI port so I had to opt for the other option - component cables. While checking out the ports on the back of the unit I thought that I was going to have to make a special trip to the Apple store. I've got plenty of cables lying around but I was convinced that I needed propriatory "Apple" cables. The colors of the five component cable ports were a range of delightful pastel shades not the dark greens and blues tones that I was familiar with.

It turns out that this was purely a stylistic decision and regular component cables work fine. I still took the opportunity to cruise by the San Francisco Apple retail store during one of my lunch hours. Although there is a lot of debate on cable quality and how less expensive cables do exactly the same job as more expensive ones I opted for the Apple recommended ones. Why spend three times more than I had to? Wife insurance, mostly. If the quality of picture coming out of the Apple TV was anything less than pristine I didn't want my decision to cheap out on the cables to be an issue. And hey, like most Apple approved accessories they certainly do look good with the Apple TV even though you only see them when you're standing right over the device.

Software set up was a breeze. After doing two iTunes updates on the iMac to bring up my desktop software version to 7.6 I was good to go. During the set up I realized that the wifi in the Apple TV was certainly better than my other wireless devices. I ended up finding many more neighborhood networks that I usually do. I'm connecting to an 802.11 b/g network on a Linksys WRT54G. More on this later.

I decided to synch photos, TV shows and movies. Initially I decided that I'd synch music then opted not to so I could save on space. The remote decided that this was the moment that stopped responding and I had to restart to the machine by yanking the power. It booted up as normal afterwards.

Any other set up thoughts or concerns? It's weird that there's no hard power button. I could have used one. Can I use other remotes? I'll have to research that. Can I use multiple remotes at once? How long do I have to leave the unit until it goes into standby mode? Does it actually go into standby? I'll have to check on this. I can imagine it might draw quite a bit of power judging from how hot the top of the unit gets.

Next up - gonna' buy and download a TV show.

No comments: